Sunday, February 14, 2010

Revisionist Blogging

I suppose that I am forced to revise my last blog, thanks to the intercession of Dina. While bemoaning my fate of still having to read the Bakhtin and Rabelais assignment, I bemoaned wading through the Norton Anthology version of Bakhtin's ideology on the novel. Dina asked me why I did not use the links provided, since they offered a much more clear and succinct analysis of his work than attempting to read the scope of his work presented in its entirety. As a graduate student, I should be able to wade through the seemingly endless repetitions and diversions that Bakhtin offers in his work to extricate the kernels of theory that are critical to a unified and complete understanding of the subject. However, perhaps it is this attitude that makes so many of the students respond with fear and dread to the required theory courses. It becomes the equivalent of my grandmother forcing me to take a heaping tablespoon cod liver oil as a child who looked "peaked" - it is so unpalatable going down, but it is so good for you.
However, after reading the links on his life, his world, and finally his theory I will admit that it was clear and painless. Ironically, the concept of carnival is timely, since we Mardi Gras is close at hand. The concept of carnival seems to do something else at this time: it situates our world with the period that is to come. For a period of 40 days, Lent, the mood is somber. However, the two times of celebration are like a pair of bookends that enclose this time period. There is the Mardi Gras, which is a recognition of the time to come, and Easter, which is a celebration that the time of deprivation and solemnity is over. It recognizes the needs of general populace in many ways. It also breaks down those barriers between individuals and classes to unify in laughter and celebration. So, I will recant my former impressions of Bakhtin and reluctantly admit to his relevance and importance in understanding the novel. Thank you,
Dina.

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness me, I am famous now!
    On my trek home, I was thinking of our conversation as well because it reminded me of my experience with Gawain and the Green Knight.
    I read two versions of the story. The first one was awful. I recoiled whenever anyone mentioned the tale. Then, a few quarters later, I read Tolkien's translation and loved it.

    The same happened to you with Bakhtin. I'm glad you gave him a second chance.

    ReplyDelete